While holidays can leave you with a warm, fuzzy glow, they add a lot of things to your daily mix of life that may not be good for your pet.
Whether it treats you that bothers their stomachs, a tree whose needles fill the air in their mouths or well-meaning relatives who feed them, the happiest time of year for our four-legged friends Can become the most dangerous time.
Here’s what you want to know about common holiday pet hazards, and how to keep your dog or cat out of the vet’s office and part of that warm and fuzzy picture.
Yes, most of us know that chocolate is bad for pets, but the ingredients in a lot of holiday favorites can cause gastrointestinal distress or poisoning: garlic and onions at dinner, grapes from cheese boards and often holiday cookies. Raisins are just one of the few common foods to keep away from pets.
Candy that is not chocolate can be a problem, said Rebecca Ruch-Galli, Associate Professor of Clinical Sciences at Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, because she is all sugar.
To keep your pets completely safe from food, keep them away from where food is being prepared and served – including trash cans, cats and dogs with fatty scraper and bones to dig. Can.
Also make sure that any breeds you are making, especially when they are in the fermentation stage, are out of reach of a pet, as it can cause gastric distension and gastroenteritis – even alcohol poisoning. – If yeast spreads and ferments in the pet’s intestine.
Even if any food is safe for pets, Drs. Ruch-Galli said that a very good thing can also be dangerous.
Cats and dogs that eat too many fatty foods at once can develop pancreatitis, which is an inflammation of the pancreas that can lead to the release of enzymes that should not occur. Most pets require hospitalization for this.
Make sure your guests are eliminating potential pet hazards, especially if the coat and purse are kept in a room where the pet usually resides. Xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is often used in sugar-free gum, breath mints, mouthwash, and toothpaste, is toxic to dogs.
And, if you live in a jurisdiction where such activities are legal, don’t forget that an adventurous pet can go into a “special brownie” that you keep away. (Please check your local laws for clarification.)
Of course, you may not have your eyes on your pet at all times, but the following behaviors may point to a problem, according to Denise Slade, Animal Medical Center staff doctor: drawing, lip-licking, pacing, difficulty being one.
He stated that the comfortable position, vomiting or “even just going on a retreating posture and vomiting as if vomiting”. “Those are signs that they may need to see a vet.”
Not sure if something is poisonous for your pet? Check the ASPCA website for pets poisonous foods, or call their animal poison control hotline at 888-426-4435, which is 24 hours a day, 365 days a year (but note that consultation fees may be levied).
The Furnishing and Decoration of a room
Holiday plants can be a danger zone for pets, especially if you bring pointer tests, lilies, and amaryllis to your home. Dr. Slade said that pets can get upset by eating evergreen needles or drinking Christmas tree water if the water is stagnant, as bacteria can grow in it.
Tinsel is particularly dangerous for cats, who may think that silver wire is flickering over long periods of time or ingested by accident while self-grooming. He also said that there may be “something like a glass or needle or thumb” in his intestine.
A long and thin object in the intestine can cause inflammation of the abdominal wall or worse, even though the lower intestine (the same is true for dental floss, so every time you take it Throw out safely if using).
Dr. Slade prefers not to leave the lights on when he gets his trunk (because we’ve all seen what happened to the cat in the “National Lampoon Christmas Vacation”) on the pet cords. he said